There are 4 seasons in a year of Harvest Moon DS and in each season you will come across festivals that will help to break up the mundaneness of farming. The festivals are optional to participate in.
The day before the festival is to occur you might receive a visit from the villager who is in charge of the event. They will remind you about the festival and tell you the date and time. If you have Channel 6 unlocked on your Sprite Stations, you will also be reminded on the morning of the festival. Not all festivals have reminder visitors but you do have a seasonal calendar hanging in your farmhouse which highlights the dates when festivals are to occur.
On Festivals that happen at night, when you exit the party you are automatically sent to bed and awaken the next morning. Unfortunately you do not regain your spent Strength and Fatigue points from the previous day. Make sure you eat something to regain your Stamina or use the Goddess Earrings to recharge.
After marriage some of the festivals will change:
- Birthdays: Walk into your house after 6:00 pm and your husband will ask you what day it is. If you answer correctly (depending on who's birthday it actually is) you'll raise your relationship with the party members. All of the family members have to be inside your house in order for the event to activate, so if your child doesn't come home until 6:30 pm you will have to wait.
- Anniversary: In the morning of your wedding day, your family will be waiting for you. Your spouse, if you answer correctly to the "what day is this?" question, will give you leveled up crop or tree seeds.
- Spring 14 - Spring Thanksgiving: Your spouse will leave Chocolate Cookies in your rucksack after you go to bed.
- Summmer 24 - Fireworks: All of the marriage candidates will be there like normal, but you can only talk to your spouse to initiate the fireworks viewing.
- Winter 24 - Starry Night: Go into your house after 6:00 pm to have a meal cooked by your spouse. Once the meal is over the two of you will go out for a night time stroll if your child is old enough to stay home alone (teenage-stage).
- Winter 25 - Stocking: If your child is at stage 2 (kid) he might interrupt Thomas "Claus" when he sneaks into your house. No stocking present for you!